ARX Series 23 March 2021
Future of Sustainability in Investment Management
War for ESG Talents?
Webinar presented by CFA Institute Asia-Pacific Research Exchange, supported by Hong Kong Green Finance Association.
Webinar PresentationDownload PDF
Investment firms increasingly see sustainable investing as critical for the sustainability of investing. In late 2020, CFA Institute published a report titled “Future of Sustainability in Investment Management” in which we explored the influences and drivers fuelling the sustainability trend and set out enablers and actions for investment firms, including the need to better integrate sustainability data and to develop sustainability expertise to meet client expectations with innovative products.
Despite the enormous growth in ESG assets, only about one-third of investment organizations have dedicated ESG specialists and, among one million investment professionals on LinkedIn, less than 1% disclosed sustainability-related skills in their profile. What does this mean for investment firms and managers that are hungry for talent? What are the latest trends in talent development? What can individual professionals do to equip themselves?
In this webinar, Rhodri Preece, CFA, senior head of industry research at CFA Institute, shares key highlights and takeaways from the study. Afterwards, leaders of investment firms examine the knowledge and skills required in integrating ESG into investment decisions, and their strategies in filling the ESG talent gap.
- Rhodri Preece, CFA, senior head of industry research, CFA Institute
- Anubhuti Gupta, CFA, head of AXA-IM Singapore, AXA
- Chaoni Huang, head of sustainable capital markets, Global Markets APAC, BNP Paribas
- Charles Wu, CFA, Chief Investment Officer, SAS Trustee Corporation
- Mary Leung, CFA, head of advocacy for Asia-Pacific, CFA Institute
Watch the Webinar
Mary is the Head, Advocacy, Asia Pacific at CFA Institute. She leads the team that is responsible for building market integrity in APAC by developing and advocating capital markets policy positions that raises investor protection and fosters sustainable industry growth. She also oversees the promotion and development of Asia-Pacific Research Exchange (ARX), a research hub through which we engage with societies, members, governments, regulators, academia and other industry stakeholders 6o advance the wider CFA Institute mission.
Mary has over 20 years of experience in the global financial industry, having worked in corporate finance, wealth management advisory, and fund management. She joined Coutts & Co, where she was director of Business Development and Management for North Asia. Prior to that she was executive director at UBS AG, where she led the Corporate Advisory Group in Hong Kong. With experience in both the buy- and sell-sides, Mary has a strong understanding of the drivers and dynamics of different investor groups, including institutional investors, corporates, family offices, asset owners, and high-net-worth individuals.
Mary graduated from Peterhouse, Cambridge with a degree in Engineering. She is a CFA charterholder and speaks English, Putonghua, and Cantonese.
• Anubhuti is currently the Head of Investment for Asia and is responsible for the Asian investment strategies and client outcomes. Anubhuti is the Head of AXA-IM Singapore and is a member of the Rosenberg Equities Global Leadership team and Investment Committee.
• Prior to her current role, she served as the Head of Portfolio Management, Director and Deputy Chief Investment Officer for the region since 2015 and initially joined AXA IM in 2005 as a Portfolio Manager.
• Anubhuti was an intern with a Singapore-based hedge fund before joining AXA IM.
• Anubhuti holds a MSc in Financial Engineering from the NTU Graduate School of Business and a BEng from Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore. She also has a certificate in Computational Finance from Carnegie Mellon University Tepper School of Business. She is a holder of the Chartered Financial Analyst, Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst, and Certificate in Investment Performance Measurement designations.
• She has been a member of the CFA Institute Education Advisory Committee since 2015 (currently serving as Vice-chair) and the Executive Committee of Singapore Chapter of CAIA Institute since 2016. She is currently serving on the Nominating Committee for CFA Institute Board of Governors.
As Head of Sustainable Capital Markets for Global Markets Asia Pacific, Chaoni leads BNP Paribas' sustainable finance solutions for corporate, financial institutions and investors with a focus on primary asset finance and securitisation Working with Global Markets in Asia Pacific and the Bank's global sustainable finance community, Chaoni drives BNP Paribas' continued expansion and leadership in Asian sustainable debt capital markets.
Chaoni is an industry veteran with over 13 years of experience in sustainable finance having held various ESG related roles at Natixis, S&P Trucost MSCI and the United Nations In addition to her role at BNP Paribas, Chaoni is also deeply embedded in the sustainable finance industry, where she is Vice President and Secretary General of the Hong Kong Green Finance Association and a guest researcher at both the Green Finance Center at Tsinghua University and the China Economy and Sustainable Development Centre at the Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business.
Chaoni received her Bachelor of Economics from the University of Warwick.
Mr Wu was appointed CIO in December 2020 and leads State Super's internal Investment team. He is responsible for determining and executing the Fund's investment policies and objectives, determining asset allocation, and implementing and monitoring the Fund's investment arrangements. Mr Wu is acknowledged across the industry for his expertise in the use of machine learning (artificial intelligence) within pension funds and has helped bring State Super to the forefront of this exciting development. Mr Wu joined State Super in 2015 and was previously an Investment Manager at Media Super and an analyst at Mercer. He holds a Master of Commerce and a Bachelor of Computer Engineering and is a Chartered Financial Analyst holder. In 2020 he was appointed President at Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Society Sydney.
Rhodri Preece is Head of Industry Research for CFA Institute. He is responsible for building and maintaining the global thought leadership function at CFA Institute, including leading the planning, coordination and creation of research content across CFA Institute research platforms including the Financial Analysts Journal, the Research Foundation, and the Future of Finance initiative.
Rhodri formerly served as head of capital markets policy EMEA at CFA Institute, where he was responsible for leading capital markets policy activities in the Europe, Middle East and Africa region, including content development and policy engagement.
Prior to joining CFA Institute, Mr. Preece was a manager at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP where he specialized in investment funds.